[lbo-talk] Re: AIDS in Russia

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Aug 23 17:25:38 PDT 2005

At 07:22 PM 8/23/2005, BklynMagus wrote:
>Dear List:
>
>Chris asks:
>
> > Hey, is HIV/AIDS still considered a "gay" disease in
>the States?
>
>I don't think so. It is very off the radar for most people.
>I would say it is considered a disease of the Other --
>queers; drug users; blacks; hispanics.
>
> > AFAIK, zero people have died of AIDS in Russia so far,
>though the HIV infection rate is rising fast.
>
>After all this time and we still do not know the the incubation
>period for AIDS. Hopefully, a low death means people are
>taking care of themselves and not that the virus is just
>mutating, wakiting to spring forth.
>
>Brian Dauth
>Queer Buddhist Resister

Did the area experience the Black Plague? There was a fascinating article in Scientific American arguing that, one of the reasons people of African descent have been more susceptible is that they didn't experience the Plague and, therefore, didn't build immunity to the disease into the gene pool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

don't have time to do exhaustive search, but here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sci_tech/highlights/011025_ccr5.shtml (IIRC, someone objected to this, pointing at another BBC source. Dunno why it's objectionable. Buttttttttttt anyway.)

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_plague/clues.html

Curious if there's been more on this or what. Anyone know?

ss

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin