[lbo-talk] Re: AIDS in Russia

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 24 13:30:23 PDT 2005

> Chris asks:
>
> > Hey, is HIV/AIDS still considered a "gay" disease in
> the States?
>
> I don't think so. It is very off the radar for most people.
> I would say it is considered a disease of the Other --
> queers; drug users; blacks; hispanics.
>
> > AFAIK, zero people have died of AIDS in Russia so far,
> though the HIV infection rate is rising fast.
>
> After all this time and we still do not know the the incubation
> period for AIDS. Hopefully, a low death means people are
> taking care of themselves and not that the virus is just
> mutating, wakiting to spring forth.
>
> Brian Dauth
> Queer Buddhist Resister

I don't see the perception of HIV/AIDS as a disease for the "other" in most of the US. A great number of white heterosexuals have a real fear of the disease. Many don't, but too many do to imagine they think of the disease as something they need not concern themselves with. The idea that it is somehow "just desserts" is still far too common however in my opinion. This is partially what makes it acceptable to state that AIDS research has unfairly been given special treatment over cancer research. A lame idea that many people apparently believe.

John Thornton