[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 12:57:27 PDT 2005

>From: "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk>
>
>Dwayne
>
>>The urge to fly from modern systems, instead of moving through them
>>to even greater, fairer things is, I think, an indication of deep
>>weariness and confusion.
>
>to which Doug adds
>
>"Yup. And that's one of the sadder symptoms of the erosion of Marxism:
>nostalgia and despair."
>
>I tried to argue that agri-business's did good as well as bad in 'two
>cheers for agri-business' ...

Of course you did -- try, that is.

I was wondering how long the scent of agri-technoskepticism would hang over the list before JH would burst in, shouting, "the shame of it all!"

I think the problem is Doug's (recent, uncharacteristic) fondness for forced binaries. The question is not: technology, are you for it or against it? It is: what kind of technology are you for? E. F. Schumacher and all that.

Carl