[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Sat Aug 27 12:53:49 PDT 2005

________________________________

From: W. Kiernan

While I'm daydreaming, let's also kill off the idea that everybody needs to go to work and get off work at the same time. That may be necessary when a majority of employees are assembly-line workers, which hasn't been the case for decades. What we achieve nowadays is fifty million workers pissing away two hours of their lives and burning a hundred million gallons of gasoline every day as they wait in traffic jams morning and afternoon five days a week, all because it's far too impossibly hard for office managers to handle the part where John works 7 AM to 4 PM while Mary usually does 9:30 AM to 6:30 PM.

Why don't we kill off the idea that many people need to "go" to work at all. Certainly many professionals seldom need to set foot in their offices. Management wants them there for purposes of discipline, if not survelliance, but their job duties don't require that they make a lengthy, expensive, and arduous commute to the office every morning and every evening.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 4068 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20050827/6cc7400a/attachment.bin>