[lbo-talk] Cuba's painful transition from sugar economy

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 27 13:24:26 PDT 2005

it's a nice idea, but the ability to secure those computers, to make sure nephew johnny isn't stealing the passwords and sharing them with his buds, or even to control where information is going would be shot.

microsoft got hacked back in 2000 because a programmer, working remotely, unzipped a file and got trojaned. when techy types who should know better download malware, well.... and my son, who was lectured sternly, managed to get so much malware, adware, spyware, etc. on his machine it was unusual. whatever gains made would be eaten up in expenses elsewhere: training, hardening desktops, serious need to monitor _everything_ in and out of a network, all manner of access control systems to keep nephew johnny's hacker buddies out, computer repair peole to travel around fixing machines. i'm sure dwayne and others could think of more nightmares for people like him, matt, etc. who'd be responsible for managing that nightmare.

i wouldn't want to deal with it. most network admins feel their users are lusers already. wait 'til they get to deal with the nightmare when everyone's working from home.

it'd be a cracker's wet dream.

also, a lot of people _like_ going to work. I thought as you did, then I tried to hire people to freelance for the company i used to work for.

so many people _thought_ they wanted to work from home. then they actually did work from home. they hated it. they couldn't manage their time. they missed socializing. they missed not having boundaries between work and home. etc.

it takes special people to do it, so i wouldn't think we should force it on anyone. some people may just never be able to do it. maybe that would change = and i hope it would -- but right now, i'd guess that 75% of the u.s. workforce couldn't deal with working from home full-time. they'd flee back to their cubicles.

cranky,

>Why don't we kill off the idea that many people need to "go" to work at
>all. Certainly many professionals seldom need to set foot in their
>offices. Management wants them there for purposes of discipline, if not
>survelliance, but their job duties don't require that they make a lengthy,
>expensive, and arduous commute to the office every morning and every evening.

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin