[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

ravi lbo at kreise.org
Sun Aug 28 18:31:40 PDT 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, ravi wrote:
>
>> i think it is OK for you (i.e., others) to eat fish or any other meat,
>> as long as you either hunt it or at least ensure it was procured with
>> the least cruelty. w.r.t the particular reason you mention fish (that it
>> is subject to lesser cruelty than pigs or cows or chicken), yes, i think
>> it is better/ok to eat fish (singer differs). [for myself, i set a
>> higher bar, but that is because i am fortunate to never have eaten meat,
>> at least knowingly, ever in my life]
>
> This moral stand is interesting to me because I don't really get it.
> If inflicting harm on living things is wrong (e.g., beheading a chicken
> and eating it is cruel), where do you draw the line? Why is eating
> broccoli okay? Why are the white blood cells in your body engulfing
> foreign viruses okay?

singer answers this all or nothing argument decently well, even if you aren't an all out utilitarian. i am loathe to go into all the details... avoidance of pain, central nervous system, levels of consciousness, survival vs luxury, etc, etc. miles, if you are interested, i can find and forward relevant links... perhaps i owe it to the entire list, since animal rights may not be as familiar a subject as i assume? i will fill out the details tomorrow.

--ravi