[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 16:43:06 PDT 2005

>From: snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com>
>
>I saw that flick, oh dang what was it?

The Edge.

>I used to say it was metaphor for old capitalism v. new.... the one with
>Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins, stranded in the wilds of Alaska. Baldwin
>is new, image-based, greedy, make,money,fast capitalism. Hopkins is old,
>"respectable," plodding, "you should make stuff, real stuff, son"
>capitalism....

IMO the film portrays Hopkins as respectable without the scare quotes. David Mamet in corrosively cynical mode is great, but here he clearly admires the Hopkins character, a billionaire, and suggests that he deserves his vast wealth simply because he is more resourceful than other people. This is not a POV I share.

Carl