[lbo-talk] Canada's NAFTA debate revived in wake of US softwooddecision

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Aug 28 15:44:15 PDT 2005

-------------------------- I think you're right. It's a cheap bone to toss the Martin government. The Wall Street Journal editorial already points the way, plus there's offsetting pressure from the US building industry and other interests like the California vintners who think they could be a target for eventual retaliation if the dispute continues to fester. It's big news in Canada, but I'd be surprised if Bush would get any political mileage out of it in the US. Has it gotten more than a mention in the US media, and does anyone outside the lumber states give a damn?