[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

ravi lbo at kreise.org
Mon Aug 29 13:04:37 PDT 2005

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2005 at 14:44, ravi wrote:
>
>> someone made fun of "fruitarians", but there are communities in
>> india that use similar principles.
>
> There are communities of people that have many different practices.

yes, and not all of them are "nut"s.

> The fact that they exist does not make their practice desirable per
> se. If you want to make an argument in favor of fruitarinism this
> isnt't it.

i've already made it in other posts on this thread.

> You assume a paramecium can suffer based on what evidence?

i do not. but if miles wants to assume that is the case, based on the impossibility of proving they do not, then i see no wrong in extending the ethical line to include them.

> Minimizing all possible harm to
> the extent that this action becomes the primary guide for your
> actions isn't what everyone wishes to do.

yes, thats pretty obvious, isnt it?

> If I kill a thousand
> earthworms digging the foundation for a building that would house a
> theater I will not worry for one second about the worms loss.

so?

> another example of kelley's point about the US centrism of this list.

> forget that this sort of anecdotal silliness is hardly representative

> of the vegetarians around the world.

> That was the point of the post. Doug posted a story about a person who > attempted to make a vegetarian out

> of their cat. This anecdote points out the proliferation of such

> silliness in the US with many vegetarians but

> is not attempting to equate this behavior with vegetarianism in

> particular in the US or elsewhere. I would

> have thought that clear but apparently not to everyone.

definitely not to me. silliness in the US (or elsewhere) is not restricted to vegetarians and mention of such in a debate about the merits of vegetarianism and animal rights is a rhetorical device.

--ravi