[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 29 14:18:21 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> 2. Why is it a lefty concern? Specifically, why are animal rights an
> intrinsically lefty concern? If that's what you're arguing.

I vaguely recall reading something by Rosa Luxemberg that answered this -- not to Ravi's satisfaction of course. She tied better treatment of animals to better treatment of the mass of human beings, but nevertheless saw cruelty to animals as both brutalizing _and_ emerging from brutal treatment of human beings. Whatever is the case with other vegetarian traditions, in the u.s. vegetarianism as a political practice is rooted in the lives of better paid workers and petty producers/professionals -- i.e., those whose own lives have become relatively pain free.

Carrol