[lbo-talk] Re: Supermarket question

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 07:30:23 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski asked:
> Why do cashiers in US supermarkets and department
> stores have to stand while
> doing their jobs? In every supermarket outside the
> US (mostly Europe and
> South America) that I had a chance to set my foot
> during the last couple of
> years the cashiers were sitting rather than
> standing.

When I worked serving customers at a petrol station, there was a chair. I used to sit on it until the boss told me that I shouldn't be sitting on it as it looked inattentive. When I asked why there was a chair he said it was for times when customers weren't around. Of course, when customers weren't around and I sat down, I was told that I should be doing other things, like making sure the labels were all facing the front on the shelves.

Simon

Last night when we went for pizza I only had one piece and I kicked in ten pounds. That's why I hate going out with those guys. How many pieces did you have? Well, ask yourself who didn't put money in? Right. That's how it always is with them.

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com