[lbo-talk] Vegetarianism

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:00:33 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, August 30, 2005 9:26 AM [PDT], ravi <lbo at kreise.org> wrote:

> Bill Bartlett wrote:
>>
>> This time of year is great though. I got my hands on a couple of
>> Fallow deer the other day, from a friend of a friend who farms them.
>> Mates rates too. Oh joy, my freezer is stocked with venison again!
>> Ravi, you don't know what you're missing. ;-)
>>

> yeah, my wife used to tell me, when she used to eat meat, that it has
> a very different taste and texture. the funny thing is, though they
> are not restricted by their choice as i am, meat eaters, in reality,
> also end up missing out on a lot of good food because their natural
> inclination (when eating out) is to order a meat dish. i am fortunate
> in not being particularly fond of food ;-).

Funny thing. I don't think it's about the meat, but about the texture. I went into a restaurant in Encinitas California(San Diego) years ago and ordered a Veal Cutlet(yum... baby sheep!). It arrived, and it was *wonderful... Real cutlet... not some chopped & formed Dennystuffresemblingfood.

My companion was having a slight problem with his burger and called the waiter over. It was a vegetarian restaurant. No real meat in the place at all. I was stunned by the ability to replicate a cutlet in soy tempeh.

But Why? Why does my soy have to look like a hot dog? Toe-fuckin-furkey!

> here in pennsylvania, i believe they have a law that permits you to
> take your roadkill home and cook it, provided you turn in its head.
> there are popular roadkill cafes to cater to the segment.

That's because all the steel mills shut down. In Vermont, it's pulling New Yorkers out of ditches.

Leigh www.leighm.net