[lbo-talk] $3 gas by next week? - Feeling pretty smug here in Russia

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 12:10:10 PDT 2005

I'll have to re-visit my stats, but "bad-boy Putin" now - with changes in natural resource laws and taxes - pulling in addition billions of dollars a month every time a barrel increases by a dollar (on top of the billions/mo per dollar change estimated earlier) for the budget. There so much money here now that Kremlin factions are at war as to how to spent it (grease their palms?). The real danger is that all this petro-cash will over heat the economy and increase inflation (even the smallest increase in inflation here is politically dangerous). Cheney's comment on the Iraq war "it will pay for itself" is paying the Kremlin no one could have imagined. We are real smug in this part of the world. It is no wonder Putin's attitude toward the West is: "Bring it on!"