[lbo-talk] Regarding NOLA, Mississippi and Alabama

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 30 13:12:55 PDT 2005

ThatRogersWoman wrote:

>The survivor stories coming out are gut wrenching. I don't think the
>rest of the nation is comprehending, yet, the ramifications of this
>cataclysmic disaster, save the rapid rise at the gas pump.

We were channel-surfing last night to catch up. MSNBC incongruously had Tucker Carlson anchoring disaster coverage. Fox was absolutely idiotic; at one point, they had a reporter standing with a road atlas she'd evidently just bought at a gas station or something, pointing to the locations of the major cities in Mississippi. "Here's Biloxi; it's a mess," was about the extent of it. CNN, however, had an excellent, heart-rending account of distress and destruction from someone on a cell phone identified only as a "photojournalist." With all the resources this gang has, it's amazing how little of it they can convey.

Later on MSNBC, Keith Olberman did point out that the Bush admin had just cut flood control spending in the region by 70%.

Doug