[lbo-talk] Regarding NOLA, Mississippi and Alabama

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 14:23:48 PDT 2005

At 04:12 PM 8/30/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>ThatRogersWoman wrote:
>
>>The survivor stories coming out are gut wrenching. I don't think the
>>rest of the nation is comprehending, yet, the ramifications of this
>>cataclysmic disaster, save the rapid rise at the gas pump.
>
>We were channel-surfing last night to catch up. MSNBC incongruously had
>Tucker Carlson anchoring disaster coverage. Fox was absolutely idiotic; at
>one point, they had a reporter standing with a road atlas she'd evidently
>just bought at a gas station or something, pointing to the locations of
>the major cities in Mississippi. "Here's Biloxi; it's a mess," was about
>the extent of it. CNN, however, had an excellent, heart-rending account of
>distress and destruction from someone on a cell phone identified only as a
>"photojournalist." With all the resources this gang has, it's amazing how
>little of it they can convey.
>
>Later on MSNBC, Keith Olberman did point out that the Bush admin had just
>cut flood control spending in the region by 70%.
>
>Doug

I just listened to the FEMA news conference. I realize this is worse than they ever imagined but I'm hard pressed to understand why, after years and years of preparation for natural and man-made disasters, wars, etc. these people appear to be a little stumped about what to do with half a million people who no longer have homes, basically. And that's just NOLA proper, right? because the greater metro area and all the towns and cities that were hit along the Miss. coast and inland... Well, at least the water will drain outside the bowl. But the folks in NOLA, they have to live somewhere.

Imagine, some of these people did not have enough money to do anything but gas up, get in the truck and go. (phoooey on SUV haters! :) Others stayed on their shrimp boats because they didn't even have a credit card to get a hotel room on high ground somewhere.

So, FEMA, and I know they do work hard and I"m not knocking the individuals and well meaning people who work there, but FEMA doesn't seem to know _what_ to do with this mess. Every hurricane that looks like it might come close to NOLA is always accompanied by discussion of the Bowl. No one thought about a disaster recovery plan in the event something like this happened? WHAT?

So, CNN just showed footage of Biloxi. A bunch of kids have a drum line going, I kid you not. They're dressed uniformly, in tan slack and dark blue tee-shirts, carrying rakes and shovels as if they were rifles, and the rest playing the drums -- reminds me of being in the drum and bugle corps!

So, they're marching around, up and down, a prepping ritual before they begin to do some cleanup? What jokers! I guess it's the only way to deal. I know when I'm most upset, I go into joker mode.

and DEb, thatnks for that great link.

-- rwmartin