[lbo-talk] "14 months. $200, 000. I'm out of here. [Expletive] you Iraq."

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:31:08 PDT 2005

BBC is reporting that IPS/FPIF released a study saying the war is costing $5.6 billion a month. Vietnam War was $5.1 billion a month. http://www.ips-dc.org/ Coming August 31, 2005 -- The Iraq Quagmire: The Mounting Costs of War and the Case for Bringing Home the Troops. A Study by the Institute for Policy Studies and Foreign Policy In Focus By Phyllis Bennis and Erik Leaver and the IPS Iraq Task Force

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/27/AR2005082700035_pf.html
>...On the green plastic wall of a portable toilet at Baghdad military
airport, I read the following graffiti, scrawled by a civilian contract employee: "14 months. $200,000. I'm out of here. [Expletive] you Iraq." Beneath it was a response from the ranks: "12 months. $20,000. What the [expletive] is going on here?" Speaking of money, the administration has never come clean about the massive debt it's piling up for us and our descendants. The nonpartisan Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments estimates that the Vietnam War cost the United States $600 billion in today's dollars. Iraq, according to the center, is costing between $5 billion and $8 billion a month -- $218 billion to date. That would mean $700 billion if the guns fall silent six years from now, a modest timetable according to numerous military analysts. Other estimates predict an eventual bottom line of over $1 trillion. -- Michael Pugliese