[lbo-talk] Art and Persuasion

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 19:00:10 PDT 2005

Leaving aside the question of Brecht -- given my tag I have a special interest, obviously (An Die Nachgeborenen, To Those Born Later, is the title of a poem of his) -- I think that the issue of whether you can persude people through art is interest and empirically testable. It would be possible to survey people's views one some question, expose them to works of art that address it, resurvey them, and see if there was any statistically significant difference. I would be amazed, actually, if someone hadn't done thsi already. Kelly? Do you know of any such work?

I think you have to distinguish between propagandistic art, didactic art, and art that may express underlying positions or tendencies. A really crude example of propaganistic art, what Dylan calls "finger pointing songs" is something like "Which Side Are You On?" (the song) or a political cartoon. Or Dylan's own "Masters of War." Didactic art, like most of Brechts, has a point to make, but there's more to it than just the point. Brecht's ThreePenny Opera expresses lots of sides of bourgeois (and other) relations and emotions as well as exposing the essential parallelism of the criminal organization and the capitalist state. And then then art like Tolstoi or Beethoven, which embody political tendencies but mostly don't teach them -- when Tolstoi goes preachy you see the artist turn off. When he _shows_ you the randomness of war, he's much more effective at undercutting the myth of the Great Man.

Now, are people persuaded by art? W, you have practically the entire weight of Western though against you -- high and low. That's why Plato wanted to ban the poets, Rousseau to censor the theater, the Nazis to ban Brecht and the Communist to ban . . . . Well, you see my point. They could all be wrong, but for you, people's ideas are entirely endogeneous, immune to outside influence. That's wrong. Maybe you can't motsly persuade people by argument, but art is a powerful force because it shows people possibilities and evokes emotions at a nonrational level that can indeed contribute to changing minds.

True, there are few if any Bull Connors who joined the civil rights movement because they were moved by Sam Cooke singing "A Change Is Gonna Come," but for most people who haven't got defined views or who have never imaginatively attempted to empathize or conceive of certain possibilities, the song helped that change come. Not by itself, of course. But as part of a lot of otherthings. Subtract the art, and you subtract something essential. The Cold War without the right's appropriation of 1984? The Civil War without Uncle Tom's Cabin? (Or anything like those?) I don't think so.