[lbo-talk] Question re: Religion vs "spirituality"

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:40:24 PST 2005

On 11/30/05, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >I define spirituality as spoiled or frustrated
> >solidarity, but that won't convince anyone who isn't already convinced.
> >
> I think that's a great definition -- given the current conditions.
>
> Joanna

I'm an agnostic since 15 or so (a raving atheist when arguing with a fundie Xtian like the Husband of a step-Sister, who also argues politics w/me...he says Bush isn't a, "true conservative, " says National Review is, "too liberal."), but, this continuing disdain for those who do have Faith, esp. when they are progressive and the only mass base, besides the unions, and civil rights and LGBT, "community, " that the US Left has to be strategically/tactically stupid. Every march I've ever been in since 1970 to now has had more left-wing Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans and the quintessential, "spritual but, not religious, " ( Spiritual, but Not Religious: Understanding Unchurched America by Robert C. Fuller http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195146808/qid=1133465616/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/002-0769455-6828864?n=507846&s=books&v=glance ) than us Godless Secularists. Religious Leftists, Religious of any political stripe have a much better ability to unify and do "good works", recognize good and evil and alleviate the latter caused by structural forces on earth and, express an UN spolied and UNfrustrated solidarity than any bunch of secular leftists, marxist-leninists, social democrats, left-liberals always squabbling and backbiting and uncognizant of their own verbally aggressive behaviors compared to religionists who believe that we have a dual nature, children of god and satan.

-- Michael Pugliese