[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Fri Dec 2 13:04:24 PST 2005

This is #5 (I mistakenly identified the previous one as #3), so I am way over quota, so Doug, Jordan, if you are reading, please boot me off the list!

At around 2/12/05 3:06 pm, Rotating Bitch wrote:

> ravi: I think I suffer from the same usage tendency as C. bodi. I like the
> word "gender" to indicate, well, gender, and not the word "sex", and
> that's hopefully not just because I am a prude."
>
> that statement isn't one that indicates acceptance of the distinction
> but one that suggests that the distinction is fraudulent. ravi's expl'd
> offlist but i'm not buying it, not after I explained it months ago and
> mostly becaseu, again, the tone of the statement is "you guys are fucked
> up to use it this way. gender means gender. more fucking language games
> from the pomos."

Oy! You guys (gender neutral usage ;-)) are so serious all the time! I guess I missed adding the smilies (such as after "well, gender"), but if I say that now, you aren't going to buy that either! I know my posts aren't as exciting as Pugliese's URL puzzles ;-), but take a peek at them in the archive: I am probably one of the few pomo defenders on this list! I don't get my briefs bunched up each time you misuse a computing term, do I? ;-)

WRT "you guys are fucked up to use it this way" implied tone, please read my other contribution titled "American English". I used to have an entire list of Americanisms (in English usage) that drove me nuts... will see if I can find it and post, if at least to create a diversion.

> now, obviously ravi's going to think i hate him or somesuch nonsense.

Nothing of that sort. I am unhateable! Ask Michael Perelman (whose list I muddy with inanities)! ;-)

--ravi

-- If you wish to contact me, you will get my attention faster by substituting "r" for "listmail" in my email address. Thank you!