[lbo-talk] A One-State Solution

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 6 11:44:53 PST 2005

> Bryan:
> > Actually, on Saturday, during the Alternative Information Center
> > (AIC)seminar in Bethlehem this last weekend, Shir Hever, our
> resident
> > (and in my opinion brilliant) economist made what I thought was an
> > excellent lecture that dealt with the issue which Yoshie brings
> up here.
>
> Not that it matters, but I do not think Yoshie is an advocate of
> the "one state" solution. As far as I can tell, she favors an
> independent Palestinian state, which is exactly the opposite that
> Hever is arguing here. AFAIK, the supporters of the one state
> solution based on economic reasons on this list are Joanna and myself.
>
> Wojtek

As a goal, one state in which Jews and Palestinians live in equality is ideal (and I've said that many times here prior to the current thread on the subject), especially since there are objective economic reasons why one state will make more sense than two arbitrary states, as Shir Hever explains; and people can and ought to advocate for it. I'm saying, in addition, that, in the near future, what we'll have is neither one state of equality nor two states (one Jewish, the other Palestinian); in the near future, there will be only one state in historic Palestine, it being Israel, and Palestinians in Gaza, the West Bank, and refugee camps abroad remaining essentially stateless. How long will that statelessness continue?

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>