[lbo-talk] Harvey

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 09:39:59 PST 2005

Ulhas:

What is "neo-liberal" about Indian economic policy?

Perhaps nothing.

I don't claim to be an expert on Indian econ policy so I won't argue the point.

When I wrote "...(spatio temporal successes such as Bangalore India notwithstanding)" I was thinking more of neoliberalism as expressed in the West. That is, the success of Indian firms such as Infosys and Wipro can be explained, at least in part, by the efforts of Western firms to recharge, maintain and/or enhance profitability by relocating - to whatever extent possible - domestically expensive job functions to lower cost/highly skilled regions.

How this movement reflects upon the penetration (or lack thereof) of neoliberal techniques within India is unknown to me so I won't comment.

.d.