[lbo-talk] War Pornography & By Men for Men

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Thu Dec 8 00:24:18 PST 2005

At 02:43 AM 12/8/2005, Travis Fast wrote:
>Ok this site provides a pretty good cross section of mainstream porn for
>the 20-30 year old het norm crowd. Check it out and decide for
>yourselves. And there is not just a good deal of sexism but a good deal
>of racist undercurrents to boot.
>
>WWW.THEHUN.COM

has anyone said there's no sexism? my point was: Yoshie asked a question about why no response to the ZNET piece. My response: it blow chunks. Not be/c there's no sexism in porn, but because the claims they make about just a couple of things, some kind of horrid degradation of women where if you took all the videos that use cunt, bitch, whore, etc. off the shelves, there'd be none left...

hello?

I have 40 of 'em sitting right here and none of them were selected by esp. enlightened men, nor are they special videos produced by enlightened pornsters. They do not show violence. They do not show women being forced to do thing. They do not show women in degrading positions. They do not show something horrid, awful, awful, awful. Just people having sex. Mostly pretty boring stuff. People aren't called names. Women aren't being punished or told they're rotten whores.

Their hyperbole, in just this one section, is way over the top. You just can't take it seriously. So why waste your breath. Save it to cool your porridge.

But I should prob. have saved it here, since you'd prefer to suggest that I'm saying there's no sexism in porn.

And isn't it exactly that, decide for yourself. It may be that you see degradation where I do not. We are bound to read this, just as we read any other cultural product, differently. Not differently, willy nilly, with no explanation, but differently because we have different experiences in the world. Namely, you are a het male. Maybe _you_ read degradation into things that _I_ don't read. Maybe, like www.girlwithaonetrackmind.com, it's not about the same thing you think, as it is for us. Maybe, when she wants to get called a dirty whore, it's not about what a man thinks and how he interprets it, but about something different.

She doesn't have an answer on her blog, but it's not unusual for women to say this and find it a turn on.

Sexual desire is complicated, but chalking it all up to false consciousness it just total bullshit and certainly demeaning to someone as talented, thoughtful, and interesting as The Girl.

DP pointed something out years ago, about how people will talk about this stuff all the time, but they won't talk about watching it. They have ops on it, but won't own up to it. How can you have an opinion if you don't even watch it?

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org