[lbo-talk] India in the Age of Neoliberalism

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Thu Dec 8 07:43:42 PST 2005

At around 7/12/05 2:45 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>
>> I noticed this strange thing too... especially in upscale shops posters
>> (ads) almost always depicted white people. "Fair skin" is highly coveted
>> in India, but not that but rather logistics may be the reason for the
>> white people: these products are mostly Western and the ads were
>> probably imported directly from Western ad material.
>
> You think? White-ish people with roundish eyes are also popular in
> Japanese advertising, no?

Sure, [not an expert, wild-arse opinion alert] white people would be popular in India for the same reason too (though a blond and white friend of ours who married a fellow from a remote village in Tamil Nadu, once told us her funny stories about how the villagers would come by to look at the ghostly lady ;-)), but I was guessing that in this case the reasons may be simpler. For example, the fitness store had pictures of white people working on various equipment -- I guess such pictures are more readily available given the longer history of such products being advertised in the West. But I could be wrong...

This is my last post for a while. In the very unlikely scenario where one or more of you may wish to write to me or respond to one of my posts, I would appreciate a direct message (or Cc:).

Cheers to all and many happy returns to Noam and Doug!

Yoshie, I am sorry but that Indian dude is not very good looking! The hottie these days in India is this chap:

http://images.indiaglitz.com/hindi/wallpaper/ACTOR/JohnAbraham/John_3_1024.jpg http://media.santabanta.com/newsite/cinemascope/images/john_abraham_big.jpg http://www.sulekha.com/Movies/wallpapers/John%20Abraham/800-600/JOH20030719-3_800-600.jpg

A PETA spokesperson to boot:

http://www.petaindia.com/newads/HIN_AD.jpg

--ravi

-- If you wish to contact me, you will get my attention faster by substituting "r" for "listmail" in my email address. Thank you!