[lbo-talk] Porn: By Men for Men

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 8 16:13:21 PST 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I don't think we should go in a state of denial about the
> fact that some cultural products are just too sexist to appeal to women.

Sure, but that's not just true of porn; it's true in many forms of mass media (e.g., pro wrestling). I guess what I'm trying to figure out is this: what is fundamentally distinct about porn as a commodity, compared to other mass media commodities? Sure, it deserves our opprobrium as a mechanism of labor exploitation, but we can apply that critique to Wal-mart. Why the need to single out porn as an especially egregious product of capitalist relations?

Miles