[lbo-talk] Brown White, Rich Poor

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 07:18:05 PST 2005

--- Guest <lbodownload at yahoo.com> wrote:
> No, it's more complicated than that. first, much of
> the original venom in 'big nose' has faded from
> casual
> over-use. Taiwanese often act surprised when cagey
> foreigners who overhear the term take offence, since

Thanks for your remarks, which I find quite interesting. My experience is mainland China over 30 years ago, and on the top of it as interpreted by those who actually speak Chinese (sonce I do not) - so obviusly there are differences between your and miy accounts.

But I do not think that your account contradicts my main argument that the skin color per se does not matter - what mattters is the perceived social status which is usually dtermined by the perceived "civilizational accomplishments" such as wealth, culture, technology, or military power. Moreover, physignomic features may be seen as exotic and thus sexually attractive. I think that your account is quite consistent with this argument.

As I said before, that may come as a surprise to many US-ers who tend to be obsessed with race due to ther own fucked up history, but the world of human relations is far far more complex than simple light/dark (or good/evil, for that matter) dichotomies favored by the US story tellers.

Wojtek