[lbo-talk] Brown White, Rich Poor

Guest lbodownload at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 01:58:40 PST 2005

> But I do not think that your account contradicts my
> main argument that the skin color per se does not
> matter - what mattters is the perceived social
> status
> which is usually dtermined by the perceived
> "civilizational accomplishments" such as wealth,
> culture, technology, or military power.

I wanted to correct a detail from one of your examples. I also wanted to point out that Chinese racism is complex and often fueled by feelings of inferiority and resentment against what some believe to be more 'accomplished' civilizations.

there's a strong element of sexual envy as well. Largely unjustified in my opinion.

I don't have anything to say about your broader argument.

>Moreover,
> physignomic features may be seen as exotic and thus
> sexually attractive. I think that your account is
> quite consistent with this argument.

White skin and a shapely nose are 'good' features in Taiwan for any race. "one white covers three ugly." I just noticed something new in the drugstore by the way- nipple lightening cream! Apparently it is bad to have dark nipples.

> As I said before, that may come as a surprise to
> many
> US-ers who tend to be obsessed with race

Man if you think americans are obsessed with race you have spent zero time in ANY part of asia : )

__________________________________ Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year. http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/