[lbo-talk] Porn: By Men for Men

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 9 07:22:13 PST 2005

> On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > I don't think we should go in a state of denial about the
> > fact that some cultural products are just too sexist to appeal to
> women.
> >

> Sure, but that's not just true of porn; it's true in many forms of
> mass media (e.g., pro wrestling). I guess what I'm trying to
> figure out is this: what is fundamentally distinct about porn as a
> commodity, compared to other mass media commodities? Sure, it
> deserves our opprobrium as a mechanism of labor exploitation, but
> we can apply that critique to Wal-mart. Why the need to single out
> porn as an especially egregious product of capitalist relations?
>
> Miles

Treat porn like any other commodity, and imagine, e.g., what consumers would do if a car market were 95% dominated by Hummers (obsessions with size), Yugos (non-starters), and Pintos (unsafe)? That's what women confront in the porn market, so most women said, "Unpalatable at Any Price" (despite the overabundance of free porn on the Net).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>