[lbo-talk] Video scandal rocks S.F. police

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 9 08:06:35 PST 2005

>Why is that offensive? Rap and punk musicians and
>kindred weirdos posing as "artistes" do it all the
>time and receive high prize for doing so from
>subscribers to this list. So what is good for the
>goose is good for the gander, no? Or should we have
>some double standards here?

There's no double standard here. The subjects of ridicule in the video were LBGT people, the homeless and people of color. Marginalized groups that the police, a predominantly white, male, hetero group everywhere, have continuously targeted for harassment. I may find this stuff immature, offensive and just plain stupid, for one of the people in this population the message this sends about the SF police is probably terrifying, but expected.

As well, the 'kindred weirdos' in question are not in positions of power where they can pull a gun on you, interrogate you in a locked, windowless room in a fortified building for hours on end or provide testimony about the person who assaulted you that will get them locked up or let loose to finish the job.

When Snoop Dog and his friends can get together and get you locked up for 30 years, put on death row or left on the edge of town to die (put "starlight tours" + Saskatoon into Google.ca) then this will be a 'goose for the gander' issue.

As it stands it's hate propaganda the Klan would be proud of.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon