[lbo-talk] Ann Coulter shut up

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Dec 10 13:38:20 PST 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:15:01 -0500 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:
> Jenny wrote:
>
> > Yoshie writes:
> > >If some men object to the
> > >inflation of both her politics and looks, is it necessarily
> sexism?
> >
> > That would be a very subtle save of a non-subtle (but routine)
> > dismemberment.
> >
> > Jenny Brown
>
> Well, "a non-subtle (but routine) dismemberment" works like this:
> when I was in college, I overheard conversations between male
> professors, who were complaining of the looks of a newly hired woman
>
> professor, to the effect that she pasted a photo of her younger self
>
> on her rirekisho (resume -- it was and probably still is common to
> require in Japan that applicants place their photos on their
> resumes!!!) and that they were much disappointed when she showed up
>
> for her job interview. Now, that's sexism, totally uncalled for
> (especially considering the fact that the male professors in
> question
> were pretty ugly themselves).
>
> In the case of Ann Coulter, though, she has been an instrument of
> the
> Right who wanted to claim, "Look, aren't our women drop-dead
> gorgeous, compared to frumpy feminists on the Left?" (Let it be
> noted that women on the Left are somehow just assumed to be frumpier
>
> than women on the Right -- no evidence necessary in their mind.)
> Indeed, that's what Coulter herself says:

The Right of course is totally immune to empirical facts ("facts are stupid things," as Ronald Reagan famously opined). Despite all the evidence that the US effort in Iraq has become bogged down into a quagmire, there are still right-wing publicists who insist that the US is "winning" over there. And despite all the gorgeous, non-frumpy feminists that one can find, the Right will keep on insisting that left-wing feminists are all a bunch of frumps who could never hope to get a guy.

Anne Coulter crap snipped

> How's that for unsubtle dismemberment?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, those are fighting words, and it is time
> for
> us to fight back and deflate Coulter's claim to beauty. After all,
>
> beauty is merely a matter of conventions -- there is no reason for
> us
> to let her get away with her "pretty girl" act just because the
> Right
> -- including herself -- tell us to worship her (or else).

Well, having seen Yoshie's wedding photos, I'd dare say that she could give Ann Coulter a run for her money in the "looks" department, if she wanted to.