[lbo-talk] Federal Air Marshal kills innocent ...

arash at riseup.net arash at riseup.net
Sat Dec 10 14:04:07 PST 2005

Interesting finding, what was your friend's conclusion for the double standard in diagnosis? Ironically, in respect to this discussion, intelligence plays a role in discriminating between schizophrenia and biopolar disorder.

http://www.psychlaws.org/BriefingPapers/BP10.htm "One important measure that discriminates between patients with schizophrenia and those with bipolar disorder is intelligence. In general, patients with schizophrenia exhibit a 10-point decline of intelligence once their illness begins. That is, patients with schizophrenia have normal or near normal IQ’s premorbidly but, even during the early phases of their illness, exhibit a marked attenuation in intellectual function. In contrast, patients with bipolar disorder generally are able to maintain their IQ level."