[lbo-talk] Celebrity and false idols

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 10 16:28:52 PST 2005

Carrol wrote:
> Tom Walker wrote:
> >
> > In other words, to
> > criticize Coulter, our discourse must be so elevated that it is
> > inaccessible to a popular audience. Coulter can be a political
> whore but
> > we must not use the word "whore". Well, fuck that.
>
> Your argument as a whole is correct, but your tactical/rhetorical
> suggestions are, I think, a non sequitur. As Kelley pointed out, no
> one
> on this list has any respect for Coulter's politics, hence in this
> context nothing is gained by anything one might say about her.

In the case of Ann Coulter and self-described white right-wing "pretty girls" like her, looks _is_ politics (there is nothing else they are paid to display): rich, white, tall, thin, able-bodied, etc. = good and beautiful vs. poor, non-white, short, fat, disabled, etc. = bad and ugly. That is all there is to it. (It's like a failed parody of Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia -- the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce. . . .) Just as we question their bogus claim to goodness, we question their bogus claim to beauty, for both claims are nothing but claims to plutocracy and white supremacy.

What's especially galling about the white supremacist politics of beauty is that white supremacists first try to browbeat non-whites into accepting the white standard of beauty; and then, (after being subjected to centuries of browbeating), if some non-whites happen to accept it and try to emulate it by resorting to hair straightening, plastic surgery, etc., they get ridiculed by -- the same white people! -- for lacking in self respect and anyway still failing to measure up to the white standard. !!!

Smash the idols, I say.

On my placards shall be inscribed the faces of Margaret Cho, Rosa Parks, Harriet McBryde Johnson, and other beautiful women on the Left!

The Sandwichwoman