[lbo-talk] Celebrity and false idols

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Sat Dec 10 17:01:27 PST 2005

Carrol wrote,

>Your argument as a whole is correct, but your tactical/rhetorical

>suggestions are, I think, a non sequitur.

I agree that if what I wrote was meant as a rhetorical suggestion it would indeed have been a non sequitur. My rhetorical suggestion would be to write about things that matter rather than to stand around poking shit with a stick and making faces. My "rhetorical suggestion" would be to not to say dismissive things about Ann Coulter. My rhetorical suggestion would be to not say anything at all about Ann Coulter. The point of Ann Coulter's act is to get attention and saying anything only feeds the beast. But if I happen to fart, I don't find it terribly interesting either to be lectured by shit-shovelers about how I'm smelling up the ambience. Fuck that hypocrisy. Nothing I say about Ann Coulter has absolutely anything to do with any progressive strategy I have in mind. For that matter, nothing I say on LBO has much to do with any progressive strategy because the level of discourse on this list is almost exclusively at the level of voyeurism and exhibitionism. Believe me, ANYTHING I say on this list is purely for the sake of amusement, primarily my own, because I am perfectly capable of calculating the ratio of trash to substance here. And when the trash comes up with "we teach. you learn." it's a pretty good indication that anything one could say here is indeed a non sequitur because there is non to sequitur.

The Sandwichman