[lbo-talk] Celebrity and false idols

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 09:43:54 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>> Well, we know Ann Coulter plays one on TV. After all, gender is
>> performance. The thing is that it is because of her gender
>> performance that Coulter is useful for the Right. We did win the
>> Culture War . . . to an extent. The extent of the small victory is
>> that nowadays the Right can't purvey sexism without having "women"
>> like Coulter give cover for them, racism without having "Black men"
>> like Clarence Thomas and "Asian women" like Michelle Malkin give
>> cover for them, etc. To say that Coulter is a victim of sexism is
>> to say that Thomas is a victim of "high-tech lynching."

Very, very, very true.

And notice one other thing about the poster girl right wing women ... their bright, neon light "feminity" is always contrasted to the lefties muted birkenstock/no bra/unshaven selves. But the unspoken text the Coulters are always fighting is that sexually we're the hot ones because we actually like sex and aren't trading it for avocado refrigerators. No essentialist arguments here, mind you, just talking stereotypes.

Joanna