[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 15 17:10:22 PST 2005

> Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
> Thu Dec 15 16:06:13 PST 2005
> At 06:46 PM 12/15/2005, qualiall at adelphia.net wrote:
> >Just as an anecdote, at my old job I told someone of my political
> >persuasion, and by happenstance someone who worked there thought I
> would
> >be interested in all the FARC clippings he had compiled--most of
> these
> >clippings were from Hustler...
> Yeah, among men I know, Hustler's something you also read. You can
> get all kinds of porn, Hustler's known to be something also worth
> reading

Playboy and Hustler have always had literary pretensions, and no doubt they have run many pieces worth reading. Pornographers and leftist intellectuals have been symbiotic: pornographers get their political and intellectual cachet from leftist intellectuals who publish in their magazines, and leftist intellectuals get their streetwise reputation through their association with "sleaze" (if Playboy and Hustler get more respectable than they already are, probably their utility to leftist intellectuals will diminish).

But I don't think that getting published in Hustler is the best way to reach the masses. I went to <http://www.hustler.com/> to look for Christian Parenti and Amy Goodman but couldn't find them. Hustler.com apparently doesn't give away its content for free. The Nation doesn't give away all of its content on the Net either, but at least it makes a good proportion of its articles available online to non-subscribers. And that's what matters in terms of getting read. At any point of the political spectrum, from the corporate media like the New York Times to non-profit affairs like Monthly Review, far more readers come to articles online than their respective paid circulations (and that's not even counting articles copied and reposted elsewhere in part or whole, with or without permission from writers and publishers).

Now, speaking of hustling the left, read this:

Chris Townsend (the Political Action Director of the United Electrical Workers), "Why I Wrote Another Check for the MRZine -- and Why You Should, Too": <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/townsend141205.html>.

With liberal contributions from generous LBO-talk readers, MRZine might be able to include more salacious images for the masses.

So far, the only images at MRZine that might satisfy your healthy need for a daily dose of prurience have been Charles Demuth's "Turkish Bath," <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/index081105.html>; Max Ernst's "The Virgin Spanking the Christ Child before Three Witnesses: Andre Breton, Paul Eluard, and the Painter," <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/index181105.html>; and the like.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>