[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:05:56 PST 2005

On Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:36 PM [PDT], Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

>> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> I'd be happy to be wrong about my speculation, but it's difficult for
> me to believe that the reading habit of "ill-educated young single
> construction-worker types" in your anecdote is typical, of readers in
> their occupation or all readers. Usually, people -- regardless of
> their occupation, education, and so forth -- don't read "_each and
> every article_" of any periodical (a magazine or a newspaper), even
> the ones to which they pay their own money to subscribe.

I can second that... lots of men I know who read it (and the percentage is small) read the articles, every one, and the type that read SOF aren't just looking at the gun ads either, they get their politics and geopolitical mindset there too.

That's why
> the corporate media can get away with a kind of double message:
> headlines and lead paragraphs suggest one thing; here and there, deep
> into back pages, they reveal another thing. Periodicals are
> generally designed to be "scanned" for information (or titillation,
> as the case may be), rather than "read."

Larry Flynt is alot more together than your average dickhead media type, and to even suggest that his or Hustler's social psychology is the same would be laughable as he would never have survived the pressure applied to his business pursuits throughout the years... He is driven by much more than $$$ or porn. Doesn't ANYONE remember Horseshit or Screw magazine or any of the first amendment "porn" battles of the 40s 50s 60s... Evergreen Books Vs the US government, or do lefties get historical amnesia as well?

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml