[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Fri Dec 16 17:07:38 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Usually, people -- regardless of their occupation, education,

> and so forth -- don't read "_each and every article_" of any

> periodical (a magazine or a newspaper), even the ones to

> which they pay their own money to subscribe...

Yoshie, I take your point about the double message but you don't grasp the (here's a phrase that's alien to the gents I'm talking about) the desperate _intellectual hunger_ of these poor guys. They are fucking _starved_ for reading matter. They read, and even critique, the _ads_. dd, they lunge to embrace those laughable conspiracy theories you so lightly despise, because that crap is the sole alternative they've been offered to the ad-powered _vacuum_ their goddamn teevees give 'em.

Also they don't subscribe, they buy those mags retail cover-price, together with twelve-packs, at the Pick-Kwik.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net