[lbo-talk] Hustling the Left

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Sun Dec 18 10:26:51 PST 2005

At 12:31 PM 12/18/2005, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Bitch | Lab wrote:
> >
> > have you ever noticed that, sometimes, it's the
> > shock and horror of the response to those of us who don't toe the party
> > line on this issue that poisons the wells at about the same time?
>
>And my claim is that the "Party Line," insofar as there is a "Party
>Line," is to be found in the kneejerk responses to Chip.

i don't call anyone a prude here and rarely ridicule their views, but repeatedly, time after time, we are told we can't be leftists and feminists b/c of our views. people are just shocked, as if you have to agree that objectification is always and only bad and wrong. people just can't deal with the possibility that we actually have thought this through because, in fact, the mainstream feminist position, taught in women's studies texts and classrooms, and in the public in general is that pornography is wrong, harmful to women and men, that it leads to violence and rape, that it degrades sexual relations between hetmen and women, bad, blah blah.

even yoshie refuses to address us as we want to be called and calls us pro porn feminists! and yes, yoshie, i think that anytime anyone sneers at the sexual lives of other people, then they are sex negative. it's not about whether you like sex or not, it's about whether or not you hold a foundationalist, essentializing view of human sexuality.

being told that you aren't a feminist, as chip suggested, is a whole LOT different than being ridiculed for having what some here feel are puritanical views.

sex positive feminism is a minority view. i just flipped through my woman's studies text and there wasn't one reference to it in 10 of them. go surf around the major feminist blogs, alas, a blog, feministe, bitchphd, feministing. read the debates over hooker boots.

recently bitchphd had to apologize for having an ad on her site for MSNBC.com's special on pornography. Gar tells me she's a sex positive feminist. apparently not, if an ad like that (which was hardly a big deal) was objectionable.

recently feministing got in a bunch over freakin' furniture, like a cabinet that looks like breast made by a craftsman/artist in the netherlands.

These are the leading feminist blogs.

so, just spare me.

"Scream-of-consciousness prose stylings, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org