[lbo-talk] Narnia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 19 08:22:27 PST 2005

Thomas Seay wrote:

> Obviously he could be much better at prose. Since
> reading the above dreary book I had never been tempted
> to read anything else by him.
> It left a bad taste in my mouth. However, seeing as
> you and Yoshie have given Narnia such rave reviews I
> will probably go and see it.

You might try his essay on Addison. (I disagree sharply with some things in it, but it expresses one possible perspective very well.) Incidentally, though I've never read an account of it, I understand from secondhand sources that he was very into spanking (whether as spanker or spankee or both I don't remember). Also his _Allegory of Love_, which I have never read either as a whole, but if I remember correctly his history of "romantic love" is essentially the same as the history Engels gives. His book on Milton is enraging but still enjoyable.

Carrol