[lbo-talk] poverty draft

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 10:17:12 PST 2005

Ulhas:

It's much more interesting to know what the US Left says about the US.

=========

No doubt this is true (though I suppose that depends upon the topic and the commentator).

But, straight on to the point, undoubtedly, this bit displeased you:

<quote>

It's no surprise...that Microsoft's Bill Gates is very popular in some segments of Indian society - he represents, and seems to deliver, the total modernity package.

<end>

Bill Gates' popularity amongst members of the Indian middle class (and those who aspire to that state) is not in doubt is it?

The Code4Bill program -

<http://www.microsoft.com/india/code4bill/>

is built upon the notion that it's an honor to work for the man. I note no similar Microsoft program has been launched in US, Euro or S.E. Asian locales - this suggests an attempt to take advantage of Gates' real or perceived rock star status (it could have been called the Microsoft India challenge, a less personalized marketing hook but Bill was inserted as an attractor - I assume for a reason).

Seems like a non-controversial assertion to me.

Gates is also popular in some circles within the US for many of the same reasons (the glamour of wealth and technology). I suspect however, that in India there's the added appeal of a firm that seems to be a partner in building the nation's technological infrastructure.

.d.