[lbo-talk] Hustling The Left/poverty draft

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 20 08:32:27 PST 2005

Wojtek issued the following sub-Menckenite rant, apropos of nothing:

> Straw man, you say? Then imagine your uncle Harry at a
> Thanksgiving dinner asks you: "OK, Mister I Do Not Like
> Our American System of Freedom Democracy and
> Private Enterprise, what else would you put in its place?"

By not even reading what I wrote, and yet responding to it, you have demonstrated what I was just saying about how most people in this discussion are not listening to anyone else. I did not say that there are not people with reactionary opinions; in fact, I said something that ASSUMED quite the opposite. Doug alleged that there are leftists who argue that the US working class is unfailingly "virtuous" and never jingoistic. I said that there are no people who make such arguments, and that he was tearing apart a straw man. I stand by that statement -- save to add that it includes you, and that you are far more annoying.