[lbo-talk] all aboard for heaven

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 20 08:39:11 PST 2005

[Harold Bloom recently repeated what he thinks this belief in heaven amounts to (roughly, Gnosticism) for contemporary Americans. --CGE]

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/classics/story/0,,1669276,00.html

'...In 2005, what is self-reliance? I can recognise three prime stigmata of the American religion: spiritual freedom is solitude, while the soul's encounter with the divine (Jesus, the Paraclete, the Father) is direct and personal, and, most crucially, what is best and oldest in the American religionist goes back to a time-before-time, and so is part or particle of God..."