[lbo-talk] Why Writing for the New York Times Is Better than Writing for Hustler (Chip Berlet on Hustler)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 20 12:23:33 PST 2005

Gar wrote:

> On 12/20/05, Chip Berlet <c.berlet at publiceye.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> > To clarify the Hustler issue, I seek gender equality and fairness
> and do
> > not think Hustler reflects such a system. While I do not support
> > shutting down Hustler, or even expending much energy protesting
> it, I
> > think that writers who write for Hustler are making a mistake
> because
> > they are giving an imprimatur to a male suppremacist organ (you
> should
> > pardon the pun).
> >
> <snip>
>
> And that is what you have not supported. In what sense is Hustler
> a male supremacist organ in a way that the NY Times is not?

The corporate media are generally sexist (e.g., see the gender gap as well as other gaps in sources quoted by the corporate media in "Power Sources," Extra! May/June 2002, <http://www.fair.org/index.php? page=1109>). Nevertheless, there is a good reason for you to prefer writing for the New York Times to writing for Hustler, if you (as Chip might) get a chance to do so.

Writing for Hustler, you have little chance of reaching women. Writing for the New York Times, you have a much better chance of getting read by many women. Besides, Hustler's audience is much smaller than the New York Times' to begin with, and what's published in Hustler doesn't get passed around by email and other means, whereas what's written in the New York Times often is. Reaching a lot of women is more important than reaching few men as far as American leftists are concerned. Women are to the left of men, so women are our base; and to get to men, try to get to them through the influence of women in their lives.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>