[lbo-talk] Why Writing for the New York Times Is Better than Writing for Hustler (Chip Berlet on Hustler)

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:21:09 PST 2005

On 12/20/05, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> The corporate media are generally sexist (e.g., see the gender gap as
> well as other gaps in sources quoted by the corporate media in "Power
> Sources," Extra! May/June 2002, <http://www.fair.org/index.php?
> page=1109>). Nevertheless, there is a good reason for you to prefer
> writing for the New York Times to writing for Hustler, if you (as
> Chip might) get a chance to do so.
>
> Writing for Hustler, you have little chance of reaching women.
> Writing for the New York Times, you have a much better chance of
> getting read by many women. Besides, Hustler's audience is much
> smaller than the New York Times' to begin with, and what's published
> in Hustler doesn't get passed around by email and other means,
> whereas what's written in the New York Times often is. Reaching a
> lot of women is more important than reaching few men as far as
> American leftists are concerned. Women are to the left of men, so
> women are our base; and to get to men, try to get to them through the
> influence of women in their lives.

However that answers a question different than I asked. I asked why Hustler was more sexist than the NY Times. The thing is, lacking information to the contrary, given the choice I would write for either or both. I don't think writing for one would materially lower your chances of being published in the other. But Chip's orginal argument is quite valid - IF TRUE. If Hustler is a hate publication against women in the same sense that Southern Partisan is a hate publication in reference to people of color, then that is an argument against a leftist writing in it.[I understand that Max would find it a rubuttable argument - but still an argument.] Although the NY Times is often an instrument of White Supremacy, it is not a hate publication in the same sense that Southern Partisan is. There are two arguments that could be made about Hustler as a hate publication. One would be that all pornography is an instrument of hatred against women in the same sense that Southern Partisan is an instrument of hatred against people of color. That is an argument that Carrol attributes to Chip, but one I will not believe is Chip's unless I hear it from him. The other is that specific content of Hustler today promotes hatred and violence against women. That of course would need empirical support - either though citing core ideology or preponderance of content.