[lbo-talk] Education and Sexuality (Chip Berlet on Hustler)

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Dec 21 00:03:29 PST 2005

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> If sexuality is as important as education for women in particular
> and human beings in general, we ought to demand a reform of the
> straight porn market, so that there will be equality in porn
> production and consumption.

I am completely bewildered by this discussion--and I don't just mean the fragment from Yoshie above. I am hearing the following from the various threads

1. Sexuality = porn.(This would follow from the position that being anti porn or critical of porn is the same as being anti-sex.)

2. What's wrong with porn is that it objectifies only women, not men.

3. Anyone who objects to porn is anti-sex and puritannical. It's not conceivable that a critique of porn coming from the left would in any way be different from a critique of porn coming from the right. (And somehow that's not essentialist.)

4. Our current insistence that we shield children from porn is just as wrongheaded as our former insistence that we shield women from porn.

5. An objection or critique of porn is equivalent to censorship.

6. Porn is no better or worse than any other form of exploitation or objectification, and to pay especial attention to it is to fall into the error of an essentialist view of sexuality or gender.

7. Sex workers freely choose to do this kind of work.

Is this right so far, or am I missing something?

Joanna