[lbo-talk] Education and Sexuality (Chip Berlet on Hustler)

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 01:52:16 PST 2005

Really this is a little bizarre:

> I don't believe that Hustler alone is the problem, but I do think
> that the straight porn market on the whole is. Imagine a situation:
> in 95% of college classrooms in America, teachers only talk to male
> students and do not bother to address female students at all. Do you
> think that would be a problem? If it is, so is the straight porn
> market. If sexuality is as important as education for women in
> particular and human beings in general, we ought to demand a reform
> of the straight porn market, so that there will be equality in porn
> production and consumption.

Porn equality? What the heck would that even be?

Men produce porn that attracts male buyers.

Larry Flynt is a pimp. He's been one for decades. Sex work in general reflects the degeneracy of pimp culture. Think about it, sex work that serves heterosexual men is a business in which men have absolutely no value to add except to instruct women on what porn-loving men will want and to persuade women to expose themselves for less money than they should be getting. Unsurprisingly, narcissistic, egotistical, perverted chauvinistic and manipulative men tend to do well in that role. They're pimps. What do you expect?

Kinder, gentler porn could conceivably be produced, but would men and women who could work together in a healthy and productive way ever choose to produce porn? Don't cooperation and recirprocal altruism generally imply a level of mutual concern and respect that tend to encourage more positive endeavors than pornography?

Finally, let's get real, do women want more porn? It's really not hard to create. Isn't the truth that women don't really demonstrate a desire for porn anywhere near what men do?

boddi