[lbo-talk] Dark matter in the current account

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 00:25:48 PST 2005

I don't agree that the Haussman etc "dark matter" thesis is necessarily lunatic. If you believe that there are rents earned by the USA as a result of its role as hegemon, then it is not obviously a loony thing to do to capitalise the value of those rents and treat it as an asset to set against the debt on the other side. If you don't do this, then you are bound to continually be surprised when the "net income from overseas" line is always much higher than you would otherwise expect it to be.

I'm not sure I agree with the specific capitalisation rate used (assuming a 5% return on overseas FDI looks innocuous, but it's equivalent to a 20x PE ratio), and it is a big weakness of this thesis that it's a theory of the US current account deficit that doesn't work even a little bit as a theory of the UK and Australia. But the basic idea is sane and is probably part of the explanation.

best dd

___________________________________________________________ NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/