[lbo-talk] Dark matter in the current account

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 02:32:59 PST 2005

I think that if you look at Latin America, for example, you see the other side of "dark matter". Assets and economic growth seem to dry up and go away. These economies don't accumulate as they should. The people work and have nothing to show for it. I think that's because their systems do not value their assets. Think about it this way: you can sell the cash flow of most important economic assets anywhere in the world into the American/dollar market but the reverse flow is much less likely. It's difficult, for example, to sell American business cash flows for a fair price in Indian rupees.

Instead of asking why people abroad keep taking our excess dollars, I think it would be better to ask why they should stop. You can buy anything you need to buy, price anything on a world standard and save your money at any level of risk/return in the most liquid capital markets. So long as the US keeps making bond payments and foreign exchange reserves are, in the main, held in dollars to protect *other* currencies, why not save in dollars?

Meanwhile, the third world is in a perpetual currency crisis and economies driven by exports to the US struggle to keep their currencies from rising too quickly and killing their price advantage. So it seems to me you have non-dollar assets perpetually deflating while people glady accept excess dollars because they know they can use them and they know what those dollars are worth.

boddi