[lbo-talk] Lula: We have put an end to the colonization of Brasil

Ira Glazer ira at yanua.com
Wed Dec 21 05:53:10 PST 2005

http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2005/12/21/026n1eco.php

[my own translation]

Lula said that the decision to pay off ahead of schedule his country's debts to the IMF put an end to the 'colonization of Brasil'. 'We didn't make any noise, we didn't make any threats. We only wanted to say to the world: Look, Brasil is now an adult in regard to its international policies.' 'We wanted to tell the world: The colonization of this country has come to an end.' ... 'We are now the masters of our own destiny. We have money, we have exports, we have production, and from now on we are going to manage ourselves without any external impositions.'

[Hopefully this will translate into a changed domestic economic agenda, with emphasis put on fixing Brasil's humongous economic and social inequalities. After all, that is why Lula was elected in the first place.]