[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Dec 21 12:00:33 PST 2005

I'm overposting, hence offlist reply.

I think you missed my point. I am not talking about public discussions about rights of 'sexual minorities' (or whatever you want to call them) to practice whatever form of sex they consent to, or not having their rights curtailed because of their sexual practices or orientation, or having the same civil rights as everyone else, or for that matter the meaning of "consent to have sex." I am talking about using sex for its shock value, pretty much in the same as someone puts a nazi uniform on or play obscenities on his CD player or publicly disp;ayes some other weird things - just to attract attention, or shock someone, or piss someone off. I am pretty sure that much of this 'explict sexuality' is nothing but a third-rate show-biz and a silly popularity contest having little to do with actual sex acts - as for example nicely portrayed in the film _American Beauty_.

Wojtek