[lbo-talk] Evolutionary theory is tautological

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Dec 22 12:55:59 PST 2005

Charles Brown wrote:
>...There is nothing but matter
>and its mode of existence is _motion_ (i.e. ,not dead). So, there is matter,
>substance, not form; yes, perhaps "bursting" all over the place.
>"Self-guided" in the sense that the motion follows laws or patterns
>that can be discovered.

If "motion follows laws or patterns," then it is anything but *formless*.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)